A Tri-Clamp connection is composed of 3 main parts: the ferrules, a gasket and a clamp. These parts can be supplied in the market under different standards and sizes. Each standard can use a code or dimension to identify the parts.
In the case of the Rheonics sensors, a TC connection is welded in the probe (Figure 1) and should be clamped with a ferrule welded inline. Find out how to select the correct gasket here.
Figure 1: SRV X3 Tri-Clamp mounting parts
Rheonics sensors can be ordered with different Tri-Clamp connections. Rheonics also offers EHEDG certified sensors, find the certifications here. The customer can specify the required standard and size for the connection on the probe in any design (flush, short and long insertion) but should be familiar with the next points for a good sensor configuration and installation:
- Sizes (in different standards) compatible with each Rheonics sensor design (flush, short and long insertion).
- Sizes compatible with EHEDG certification for Rheonics sensors.
- Compatibility between Clamp sizes in different standards.
To understand the points mentioned above, Rheonics provides the next table. When reviewing the table consider the following:
- First column stands for the ferrule bigger OD (TC diameter). Rows with the same TC dimension can be clamped together.
- Three norms are evaluated, these are ISO 1127, DIN 32676 (DIN 11850) and ASME-BPE.
- The ID and OD dimensions are based on the ISO 1127 norm, but are very proximate for the other two standards studied.
- Rheonics sensor designs are Flush, Short and Long.
Figure 2: Ferrule dimensions
|TC (mm)||ISO 1127||DIN 32676||ASME-BPE||ID (mm)||OD (mm)||Flush (SR-X4)||Slimline (SR-SLP)||Short (SR-X3)||Long (SR-X5)||Long Hygienic (SR-HS-X5)**|
|34||DN 8||DN 8||3/8"||10.3||13.5||-||-||-||-||-|
|34||DN 10||DN 10||1/2"||14.0||17.2||x*||-||-||-||-|
|34||DN 15||DN 15||-||18.1||21.3||x||-||-||-||-|
|34||DN 20||DN 20||-||23.7||26.9||x||x||-||-||-|
|50.5||DN 6||DN 6||-||7.0||10.2||-||-||-||-||-|
|50.5||DN 6||DN 8||1/2"||10.3||13.5||-||-||-||-||-|
|50.5||DN 25||DN 25||1 1/2"||29.7||33.7||x||x||x||-|
|50.5||DN 32||DN 32||-||38.4||42.4||x||x||x||x||-|
|91||DN 65||DN 65||3"||72.1||76.1||x||x||x||x||x|
x* Seal gasket will be over the weld line, care should be taken to use sufficiently conformal gaskets to seal. ONLY AVAILABLE FOR ISO 1127
**For EHEDG compliant installation, the rule D-d>L must be maintained. See EHEDG installation guidelines.
What about bigger Tri-Clamp sizes?
Welding bigger Tri-Clamp sizes on the sensor body is possible but may only make sense for the Long insertion probes. For flush and short sensors a big TC would force to use a long standpipe or long matching ferrule neck, placing the sensing element in a dead zone. Consider installation principles for the SRV and SRD.